The rumour of next Android operating system version is on high as the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 tablet debuted, Google announced Android 5.0 know to us as Lollipop version. So next year at Google I/O event, Google will come out with the latest version of Android 6.0 and it will be named something starting with M, maybe Milkshake, so Android Milkshake, isn’t that sound’s great.
So now the Android 5.0 version is named finally, when we would be expecting this update to our devices? All the details about the Android 5.0 launch date, features included, improvements & first device, what devices would be update to Android 5.0 goes here.
Android 5.0 Lollipop
The launch date of Android 5.0 KLP is expected to be 2013’s Google I/O as it’s the straight pick as the official Google products and announcements event. And the first device to come up with Android 5.0 is still not yet known. Maybe it will be the next Nexus device? It was finally the Motorola X Phone who takes the pride along with Nexus 9 to be the first devices with Android latest version.
How it the Name
Although the number doesn’t matter, naming does matter. Android version goes alphabetically and each of the Android version codenames after desserts.
- Android 1.0 – Alpha
- Android 1.1 – Beta
- Android 1.5 – Cupcake
- Android 1.6 – Donut
- Android 2.0, 2.1 – Eclair
- Android 2.2 – Froyo
- Android 2.3 – Gingerbread
- Android 3.x – Honeycomb
- Android 4.0 – Ice Cream Sandwich
- Android 4.1.x – Jelly Bean
- Android 4.4 – Kitkat
- Android 5.0 – Lollipop
Looking back at previous version improvement and features, the entire version launched until now includes some or the other important features. Most of the features were launched on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich version. But here we have listed few features of Android 5.0 Lollipop –
- Material Design: Android Lollipop is a big deal because it brings out Material Design now applied to mobile OS.
- Battery Improvements
- Beautiful Notifications
- Device Sharing
- Security as Guest User Mode is now been introduced
- Individual notifications are now displayed on cards with material design.
- Notifications can now be grouped by apps.
- These notifications can be displayed on lockscreen as well.
- Do Not Disturb Added to Notifications.
- Adds 5,000 new APIs for use by applications.
- It’s time to say Goodbye to Android Runtime as Dalvik Virtual Machine replaces it.
- Through Project Volta, Android Lollipop will seriously improve battery life consumption.
- Many More new Quick Settings.
- Read More
What Devices Will be Updated
It’s clear that Motorola X Phone is the first phone with Android 5.0, Nexus 9 takes the second spot. In near future, many Android devices will get this update rollout. Among the front runners are Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 and Nexus 4 apart from other Google Play Edition devices. Google has also confirmed that Android One devices too will be updated to latest version of Android.
For such updates keep track on “Android Lollipop” tag on our site and here is the pretty handsome compiled list –
Samsung Android 5.0 Update
Although Samsung hasn’t officially announced anything of Android 5.0 schedule, sources says that Samsung Galaxy S5, S5, Note 4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note 8.0 and Galaxy Tab S will be updated to Android 5.0 in near future.
Keep watching for details in coming days! Read more about Samsung Lollipop update.