To get this update Over the Air your handset should be running on Stock firmware instead of a Custom ROM firmware installed on it. But those who have installed a custom ROM on their device there is nothing to worry as you can revert back the process by installing a Stock firmware again.
To do this you have to follow the below mentioned steps which will help you to get back your stock firmware so that you can get updates from google on time.
NOTE: This information is only for Moto X Play XT1562 and XT1563 only, please do not try on other models.
Preparing Your Phone
- Back up entire phone data before beginning.
- Install USB drivers for Moto X Play on your PC.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer from here or download the installer for the same from here.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your handset, Go to Settings > Developers options (Tap build number for 10 times to get Developer Options)> USB Debugging mode.
- Device should be fully charged.
Note: Please proceed at your own risk. We are not responsible for anything happen to your device but if you follow any process mentioned here correctly nothing will happen to your device.
Install Stock firmware on Moto X Play
Follow the process mentioned below –
- Down load Stock firmware file for Moto X Play on your PC from here.
- Extract the file in the same folder where you have set up ADB and Fastboot, so as to get all the required files at one place.
- Disconnect the device from PC and Reboot it into bootloader mode by pressing and holding Power and Volume down button.
- Now connect back the device to PC.
- Navigate to File location on PC, open recovery.img file, while it’s open click on empty space in the window and choose “Open command window here“.
- To check the device connectivity type the following command in the command prompt window –
- Now type the following commands to install the firmware
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
- Device will reboot automatically once the process is completed.
If you see a new boot logo that means the process is completed successfully, if not try to do a factory restore from stock recovery and make sure you have the right Stock firmware file downloaded.
Thank you and keep visiting the site for more information for other models.