Guide on how to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Nexus 5X using the Cataclysm Custom ROM.
Cataclysm a new Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM by the Android developers is now available for the Nexus 5X device. This ROM is much stable when compared to other custom ROM during their development stage. This ROM does not have any WiFi draining battery issues, which is commonly seen in other custom ROMs. It has all the Marshmallow features which are present in the official update.
Cataclysm custom ROM will update Nexus 5X to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. As this is a custom ROM you need to root your device prior to flashing and you also need to install custom recovery like TWRP or CWM. Let me tell you that this is an unofficial method of updating the device and if anything goes wrong during or after the flashing the ROM, no one else but you will be the solo responsible for it.
Let us now go ahead have a look at procedure and also take a look at few other requirements before beginning the actual procedure.
Preparing your Phone
- This instructions are meant for LG Nexus 5X only, do not try it on other devices.
- Device should be fully charged up to 100%
- Install Nexus 5X USB drivers on your PC.
- Back up all the necessary data to external storage restore it later.
- Make Nandroid back up of the current ROM.
- Device should be rooted and it’s bootloader must be unlocked.
- Custom Recovery like TWRP should be installed on the device.
- Enable USB debugging mode. Go to Settings > Developer options > USB debugging mode.
Download and Update Nexus 5X to Android Marshmallow
- Download the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow based Cataclysm custom ROM from here.
- Download the Google App’s from here.
- Transfer the files to device storage and turn it off.Disconnect the device and turn it off completely.
- Reboot the device into recovery mode, press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power key for few seconds.
- When in recovery mode tap on Wipe tab and select all the options given under it.
- Now, confirm the wipe action by swiping the button at the bottom of the screen.
- Now, return to main menu and tap on Install tab.
- Locate the ROM file stored on you device and select it.
- Swipe the button at the bottom to flash the ROM file on your device.
- In the same way flash the Google App’s on your device (step 7-9).
- Return to main menu and tap on Reboot.
- System will now reboot in normal mode.
- That’s all, device is now updated to the latest Android Marshmallow, you can check the Android version in Settings > About device > Android version.