Google has recently released update for Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. This new update is Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow for Nexus 5X. The users who are looking forward for this update can get this update Over The Air OTA or they can manually update via recovery flashable zip file. The size of OTA update file is not so huge it’s just around 75 MB. This new update comes with some improvements like security patches and stability. Previously we have published an article on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for Nexus 6P.
You can also update manually in software update in your device. Go to Settings > About device > Software updates. Tap on the update options, if you do not seen any updates then you can follow the below mentioned methods which ever you feel is easy. We also have TWRP flashable OTA update method for those who have rooted their device.
Before we proceed further it is mandatory that you check your device build number and then download the right firmware for your Nexus 5X. The new Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware is MMB29K. Now let us go ahead and have a look at the procedure to update Nexus 5X manually.
Preparing your Phone
- This instructions are only for Nexus 5X, do not try it on other devices.
- Device should be fully charged.
- Install Nexus 5X USB drivers on PC for better connectivity.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC. (ADB sideload method only.)
- Back up important data.
- Make nandroid back up of current ROM.
- Device should be rooted and it’s boot leader must be unlocked. (rooted users)
- Custom Recovery like TWRP must be installed on the device. (rooted users)
- Enable USB debugging mode on the device. Go to Settings > About device > tap build number for 7 times > Settings > Developer options > USB debugging mode.
Official Signed OTA Update from Google
- 6.0 MDB08L -> 6.0.1 MMB29K
- Official: Link
- Mirror: Link
- 6.0 MDB08M -> 6.0.1 MMB29K
- Official: Link
- Mirror: Link
TWRP flashable OTA zip files for Nexus 5X
- Recovery Flashable MDB08M Vendor Image
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow — Link | Coming Soon
- Recovery Flashable MMB29M Vendor Image
- Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow — Link | Coming Soon
Method 1: Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA update using Stock Recovery
- Make sure you do not have any security updates available for your phone before Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
- Download the correct OTA update file for your device and store it on your PC.
- Now transfer the OTA zip file to your phone’s internal storage.
- Power off the device and reboot it into stock recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down +Power keys together for few seconds.
- Once in recovery tap on Apply update from phone storage and navigate to OTA file stored in internal memory.
- Flash the file and wait till the process is completed.
- Device will auto reboot in normal mode.
After this update if the system does not boot, perform a factory reset. If this method works for you then you can enjoy your new firmware. However, if it fails or gives an error, then refer to method 2.
Method 2: Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA update using ADB sideload
- Download the OTA update file for your device and place it in the folder where installed ADb and Fastboot drivers on PC.
- Power off the device and boot it into stock recovery mode. To do so, press and hold volume down and the power button for 5-6 seconds.
- In the next screen, select the stock recovery option which will boot you into the recovery.
- In recovery menu select apply update from adb.
- Connect the device to PC.
- In ADB and Fastboot folder right-click in empty space and select open command prompt here, do this when both files are open.
- Give the command to check device connectivity
- To install update give the command
adb sideload ota.zip
- Make sure the name of file is ota.zip if not rename the file.
- Reboot the system once installation completes.
Method 3: Install Android Marshmallow update using TWRP flashable OTA zip
- Download the flashable OTA zip file from the download section.
- Connect the device to PC and transfer the file to device internal storage where you can locate it easily.
- Power off the device and reboot it into TWRP recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power key together for few seconds.
- In the recovery menu tap on Wipe tab and wipe the System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS.
- Now return to main menu and tap on Install and locate the OTA file stored on your device.
- Swipe the Swipe to flash button to start the installation.
- Wait till the installation is completed and then return to main menu and tap on Reboot.
That’s all you can follow any menthod you wish to update your Nexus 5X to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. To check the Android version go to Settings > About device > Android version.
Thank you for reading the article.