HTC Desire 816 does not have its official Android 5.1 so here is a chance for HTC Desire 816 user to experience the new Android 5.1 Lollipop with the help of CyanogenMod 12 ROM with its AOSP and Lollipop goodness. It will give the user the look and feel of all new Android 5.1 Lollipop as in other Android 5.1 running devices.
So, those who wish to experience new Android 5.1 Lollipop on your HTC Desire 816 here are the simple steps you need to follow.
Preparing your Phone:
- This instruction are meant only for HTC Desire 816.
- Phone should be rooted with its boot loader unlocked.
- Install a custom recovery tool if not available (use the link).
- Phone’s battery should be fully charged to avoid interruption.
- Install the phone’s USB drivers on computer.
- Backup your phone data before beginning.
- Enable USB debugging mode (Setting > Developer options > Debugging mode)
Desire 816 Lollipop Update
Step to be followed for installation
- Download the Android 5.1 Lollipop CM12 ROM file from the link
- Download Google App’s file from the link.
- Connect the phone to the Computer through USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded files to Phone’s internal storage.
- Switch off the phone and reboot into recovery mode (Use volume down and Power button together )
- Backup the data in recovery mode by selecting Backup/Restore option.
- Perform full system Wipe by choosing Wipe data/ Factory reset option.
- Now perform Cache wipe and Dalvik Wipe one after other same as Wipe data/Factory reset option.
- Go back to main recovery menu and select Install Zip from SD card.
- Choose the Zip file (ROM) that you have downloaded earlier.
- Repeat the step 9 and step 10 for installing Google app’s (Select Gapp’s file instead of ROM file)
- Come back to recovery menu and select Reboot System Now option.
- Wait till the process is completed.
NOTE: Use volume keys to navigate while in recovery menu
First boot will take time to complete so do not interrupt it.
Your phone is now running Android 5.1 Lollipop, you can check the status in the Settings > About phone.