Android developers have brought some good news for the ageing Nexus 4 users, the news is that the device’s Android version can now be updated to latest Android 5.1 Lollipop through Custom ROM based Android 5.1 Lollipop CM 12. This custom Android for Nexus 4 is designed by the famous CyanogenMod Android developers. This custom Mod has all the features and functions of the latest Android 5.1 Lollipop and it’s AOSP.
So, all the Nexus users who can not wait for the Stock Android 5.1 to be available for their Nexus device and want to check out this Custom ROM here are the steps you need to follow to do so.
Preparing your Nexus 4:
- Phone should be rooted and it’s boot loader must be unlocked.
- Device should have a recovery tool like CWM or TWRP installed initially.
- Phone data should be backed up before beginning.
- Phone should be fully charged to avoid interruptions in process.
- Proper USB drivers for the device must be installed on computer if not download it from here.
- USB debugging mode should be enabled on phone (you can find this option in Settings > Developer options > USB debugging mode).
Installing Android 5.1 based CM 12.1 Custom ROM:
Steps to install Custom ROM are –
- Download the Android 5.1 Lollipop based Custom ROM CM 12.1 from here.
- Download Google App’s for Nexus 4 from here.
- Connect the phone through USB cable to computer and transfer the downloaded files to internal or external storage of your Nexus 4.
- Switch off the device and reboot it in to Bootloader mode by pressing and holding Volume up, Volume down and Power button.
- Go to Recovery mode from Bootloader mode and perform Data backup once again.
- Now clear the data by selecting Wipe data/ Factory reset option in menu.
- Now perform cache wipe by selecting Wipe cache partition and similarly perform Dalvik cache wipe one after other.
- Return to main menu and select Install Zip from SD card and choose the Zip file from the phone or SD storage.
- Flash the ROM file after selecting it.
- In same way Flash the Google app’s file after finishing the ROM flashing.
- After both the files are flashed return to main menu.
- Select Reboot system now.
Your Nexus 4 will now boot back into Android 5.1 Lollipop version to check the status go to Settings > About device.