The Official Android 5.1 update for Sony Xperia Z Ultra might take some time to be available in the market. But there is nothing to worry as there is a custom version of Android 5.1 Lollipop for Sony Xperia Z Ultra is available, all credit goes to CyanogenMod’s latest ROM version 12.1 or CM 12.1.
This version has the features of Google’s stock Lollipop experience based on AOSP and Sony’s very own customization and features. It also includes the Lollipop features from the team of CyanogenMod.
So, if you are curious to check out this new Android look, then here are the steps you need to follow.
Preparing your Phone
- This instruction are only for Sony Xperia Z Ultra will not work for other models.
- Your phones battery should be fully charged.
- Install the USB drivers on Computer (If installed already it is not necessary to install it again).
- Enable USB debugging mode on your phone. It can be done through Settings > Developer Options > USB debugging.
Xperia Z Ultra Android 5.1 Update Procedure
Follow the process mentioned below –
- Download Xperia Z Ultra Android 5.1 Lollipop CM 12.1 file to your computer.(Download the latest version)
- Also download Google apps for Android 5.1 file.
- Conncet the Phone to computer through USB cable.
- Copy the Zip files to Phone storage without extracting.
- Switch off the phone and reboot into recovery mode (This can be done by tapping continuously VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN keys until LED light turns to pink or any other colors.)
- Backup your data by performing Backup and Restore option in recovery mode.
- Now, perform a full data wipe out choosing Wipe Data/Factory Reset option (you can use Power button to select and Volume keys to navigate through options available).
- Perform cache Wipe by selecting Wipe cache Partition.
- Go to Advanced options and select Dalvik cache wipe.
- Go back to main recovery screen and choose Install Zip from SD card.
- Select the file (CM 12.1 zip) that you copied to your phone memory before starting installation.
- Repeat the step 10 to copy Google apps file.
- After completing the installation click on “+++++GoBack+++++” and reboot the system from recovery mode.
- Hit Reboot System Now.
- Phone will reboot.
First reboot may take several minutes to complete so please do not panic and wait till the process completes.
Your Xperia Z Ultra phone is now running Android 5.1 Lollipop (You can check the status in About phone option in setting).