Download Nexus 7 Android 6.0.1 Factory image and flash it manually on to the device.
Google has recently released Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for its Nexus devices and for Android One devices as well. A large number of smartphone will see through Android 6.0.1 update. The users who are looking forward for this update can get this update Over The Air [OTA] or they can manually update via recovery flashable zip file. The size of OTA update file is not so huge it's just around 75 MB. This new update comes with some improvements like security patches and stability. Previously we have published an article on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X.
In this article we have brought you guide for hoe you can download and install the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Nexus 7. You can update the software manually in software update in your device. Go to Settings > About device > Software updates. Tap on the update options, if you do not seen any updates then you can follow the below mentioned methods which ever you feel is easy. We also have TWRP flashable OTA update method for those who have rooted their device.
Let us now begin with the installation process using three different methods but before that mandatory instructions you should follow.
Preparing your Phone
- This instructions are only for Nexus 7, do not try it on other devices or the device will be bricked.
- Device should be fully charged up to 100%
- Install Nexus 7 USB drivers on PC for better connectivity.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC. (ADB sideload method only.)
- Back up important data.
- Make Nandroid back up of current ROM so that you can restore it if required.
- Device should be rooted and it's boot leader must be unlocked. (rooted users)
- Custom Recovery like TWRP must be installed on the device. (rooted users)
- Enable USB debugging mode on the device. Go to Settings > About device > tap build number for 7 times > Settings > Developer options > USB debugging mode.
Choose the right firmware depending on your device build number.
- Nexus 7 2013 WiFi
- Nexus 7 2013 (LTE)
- MMB29K (6.0.1) for Nexus 7 2013 WiFi
- Official Factory Image — Download | File: razor-mmb29k-factory-a39e7047.tgz
- MMB29K (6.0.1) for Nexus 7 LTE
- Official Factory Image — Download | File: razorg-mmb29k-factory-44d21f0a.tgz
NOTE: Above instructions are applicable for all methods were ever required.
Method 1: Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow using Stock Recovery (OTA)
- Make sure you do not have any security updates available for your phone before Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
- Download the correct OTA update file for your device and store it on your PC.
- Now transfer the OTA zip file to your phone’s internal storage.
- Power off the device and reboot it into stock recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down +Power keys together for few seconds.
- Once in recovery tap on Apply update from phone storage and navigate to OTA file stored in internal memory.
- Flash the file and wait till the process is completed.
- Device will auto reboot in normal mode.
Method 2: Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow using ADB sideload (OTA)
- Download the OTA update file for your device and place it in the folder where installed ADb and Fastboot drivers on PC.
- Power off the device and boot it into stock recovery mode. To do so, press and hold volume down and the power button for 5-6 seconds.
- In the next screen, select the stock recovery option which will boot you into the recovery.
- In recovery menu select apply update from adb.
- Connect the device to PC.
- In ADB and Fastboot folder right-click in empty space and select open command prompt here, do this when both files are open.
- Give the command to check device connectivity
- To install update give the command
adb sideload ota.zip
- Make sure the name of file is ota.zip if not rename the file.
- Reboot the system once installation completes.
Method 3: Flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Factory image on Nexus 7 Full Firmware
This procedure will flash factory image on the Nexus 7. It will perform a clean firmware installation and hence all your data and apps will be lost. So, make sure you have backed up your data.
- Download the Factory image file for your device on your PC
- Make sure you have setup ADB and fastboot on your PC.
- Also accept Always allow from this computer when you plug in the device for the first time to enable USB Debugging.
- Now power off your device, do not connect it with PC yet.
- Reboot into the bootloader or fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold volume down and the power button simultaneously for 5-6 seconds.
- Connect your device to PC and allow the drivers to install.
- Extract the downloaded factory image file to get Flash-all.bat file.
- When the folder with extracted factory image open run the Flash-all.bat file.
- Confirm the flashing process and wait for the process to completes.
- Once done, reboot the device normally.