Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G906S Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 CM13 Custom ROM update guide.
Another Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update is now available for the users of the Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G906S, this time its the Android 6.0.1. This update is developed the developers at CyanogenMod. This is CyanogenMod’s CM13 custom ROM to update the device to latest Android version that is Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
You are free to download the update from the official Cyanogen website or alternatively you can also get it from the link provided in the description below. To flash this ROM on your device it is mandatory to have Root access and a custom recovery installed on your device.
Also make sure that the ROM being in the development stage it is possible that it might have some bugs which may cause some of the ROM features not work properly or up to the mark. So, it is better that you make Nandroid back up of your current ROM.
Preparing your Phone
- This instructions are strictly for Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G906S, so do not try it on any other device or you may brick your device.
- Device should be fully charged.
- Install Galaxy S5 USB drivers on your computer.
- Back up all the required data to some safe storage.
- Make a Nandroid back up of the current ROM so that you can restore it when required.
- Make sure the device bootloader is unlocked.
- Root your device and install custom recovery on it if not done already.
- Enable USB debugging mode of your device. Go to Settings > Developer options > USB debugging mode.
Download and Install Android based CM13 Custom ROM
- Download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow based CM13 custom ROM from here.
- Download the Google App’s for Android Marshmallow from here.
- Connect the device to computer and transfer both the files i.e ROM file and Google App’s file to your device root storage.
- Disconnect the device and turn it off completely.
- Reboot the device into Recovery mode, press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power key for few seconds.
- When in recovery mode tap on Wipe tab and select the options you like to wipe, given under it.
- Now, confirm the wipe action by swiping the button at the bottom of the screen.
- Now, return to main menu and tap on Install tab.
- Locate the ROM file stored on you device and select it.
- Swipe the button at the bottom to flash the ROM file on your device.
- In the same way flash the Google App’s on your device.
- Return to main menu and tap on Reboot.
- System will now Reboot in normal mode.
- That’s all you can now check the device Android version in Settings > About Device > Android Version.