Sony is long way to go with Android 5.0 Lollipop update to their Xperia lineup. The Xperia Z smartphone owners will be feeling the heat of not having this update on their smartphone. Either you wait for few more months or go through instructions mentioned here to get Sony Xperia Z Android 5.1 Lollipop update on your device.
Android 5.1 on Xperia Z is achieved via the unofficial Omni ROM. This is a custom firmware out by recognized XDA developer Olivier.
Preparing Your Phone
- You should charge your phone to atleast 80% battery life.
- This guide is only applicable to Xperia Z model only.
- Backup important data that is present on your phone.
- Make sure that proper USB drivers are installed on your PC.
- You should enable USB debugging on your phone by going through Settings > Developer Options. Read to enable Developer options.
- You will need to have Xperia Z phone with root achieved on it.
- Since it’s a Sony phone, bootloader should be unlocked and CWM recovery should be installed.
Xperia Z Android 5.1 Lollipop Update
Follow the process mentioned below to update Xperia Z to Android 5.1 Lollipop based on OmniROM –
- First download the Xperia Z Android 5.1 OmniROM file to your PC. Download the latest build.
- Also download Google Apps package file.
- Connect your phone to PC using the USB cable and transfer the files that you downloaded in Step 1 and Step 2 to your Phone’s SD card storage.
- Unplug USB connection now.
- Power off your device.
- Boot Xperia Z in recovery mode. This can be done by press Volume up or Volume down button many times.
- Once you are through the Recovery mode options you will need to perform full data wipe by selecting Wipe Data/ Factory Reset.
- Also perform Wipe Cache Partition.
- Also wipe out Wipe Dalvik Cache by going through Advanced.
- Now select Install Zip from SD card and then select Choose ZIP from SD card.
- Navigate to the folder where the downloaded file in the step 1 is stored.
- Select it.
- Repeat the process for Google Apps package as well.
- Now hit ++++Go Back++++ and then select Reboot System Now
- Your phone will be restarted.
The phone will be restarted and it will take some time to boot for the first time.