Nexus 7 2012 (3G) model users can now update their handset to latest Android 5.1 Lollipop as the Factory image of the original Android 5.1 Lollipop is available for download. The users will no longer need to wait for the original Over The Air (OTA) update to be available for their ageing handset as this factory image has all the features and functions of the official Over The Air (OTA) update.
So if you have missed the official Over The Air (OTA) update from Google and are not willing to wait for its release, you can flash this latest Factory image of Android 5.1 Lollipop manually.
Follow this simple to download and install this factory image of Android 5.1 Lollipop on your Nexus 7 2012 (3G) models.
Preparing Your Phone
- The device must be rooted and its bootloader must be unlocked.
- A custom recovery tool like CWM or TWRP must be installed on phone.
- Backup the Phone data and other important files before starting.
- Device should fully charged to avoid interruption.
- Download and install USB drivers for the device on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging mode on the device, to do this go to Settings > Developer options > Enable the USB Debugging.
Install Android 5.1 Lollipop Factory Image
Step for installing Factory image of Android 5.1 Lollipop manually –
- Download the Android 5.1 Lollipop Factory image file from here.
- Rename the file with .tgz extension if it is with .tar format and extract the files.
- Unzip the zip file present in the factory image folder.
- Copy the extracted files to fast boot folder.
- Now reboot the device into fast boot mode by pressing and holding Power and Volume down buttons.
- Connect the device to computer by working USB cable.
- In the fast boot folder where you have copied the factory image file hold shift and Right click in empty space in folder to open command prompt window.
- Execute the following commands in command prompt window –
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-filename.img
fastboot flash radio radio-filename.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash cache cache.img
Your device will now be running on Android 5.1 Lollipop after boot. You can check the Status in Settings > About device.