Now that the device is released the Android developers have also started bringing in some new Custom stuff for the device. But to have that Custom stuff you will have to first root your device and install custom recovery tool like TWRP.
So, in this guide we will help you to root your Nexus 6P and install TWRP.
Preparing your Phone
- This information is valid only for Nexus 6P.
- Charge the device battery to 100%.
- Should have a working USB cable.
- Enable USB debugging mode on the device, to do this go to Settings>about device>tap build number for 7 times. You will have developer options enabled in settings. Open developer options>Enable USB debugging mode.
- Turn on “Enable OEM Unlock” in developer options.
- USB drivers and ADB & fastboot drivers should be installed in the Computer.
Unlock Bootloader of Nexus 6P:
- It is necesory that you have downloaded the USB drivers and ADB & Fastboot drivers from the above link.
- Reboot the phone by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key.
- Now connect your phone to PC.
- Open ADB & Fastboot.exe in your PC (go to Windows installation drive i.e. C drive > Program Files >ADB & Fastboot > Open py_cmd.exe file in order to open the command window. Mac users can see in the Mac guide for the file they will be opening).
- Now in the command window enter the following commands.
fastboot oem unlock
- Disconecct the device now.
Install TWRP recovery on Nexus 6P:
- Download TWRP Recovery.img file and rename the file to “recovery.img”.
- Copy the recovery.img file to ADB & Fastboot folder.
- Now reboot your Nexus 6P into fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power key.
- Connect your phone to PC.
- Open ADB & Fastboot.exe or Py_cmd.exe
- In the command window enter following commands:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Procedure to Root Nexus 6P:
- Download SuperSu v2.52.zip file and copy it to your phone’s SD card.
- Boot into TWRP recovery on your phone by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key.
- Select Install and navigate to SuperSU.zip file in the SD card.
- After the process completes select Reboot option from the menu to Reboot the device.
- Verify root access using Root Checker.
That is it your phone will now be rooted with TWRP recovery installed on it and it's bootloader unlocked.