This guide explains on how to install Remix OS 2.0 on Macbook Air, Macbook Pro and iMac.
Remix OS 2.0 is now available, officially for both Windows and Mac OS X. So, far it is the best virtual Android OS you will experience. The latest Remix OS 2.0 is not just an Android emulator anymore that will open up inside your existing operating system, but it’s whole operating system that will boot up separately and let you have a complete Android OS in an entirely separate panel. Just like you run two OS on the same PC.
Remix OS 2.0 runs on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, it comes with a lot of developer support with cool and eye soothing UI. It will allow you to enjoy your favorite Android games and applications in HD graphics on the full screen of your Laptop or your desktop PC’s.
As the OS is said to be in the development stage, it will have some bugs. But keeping that apart you can concentrate on the great functionality and usability of this new virtual Android OS. Talking about the installation, installing Remix OS becomes very easy as the IOS file of the OS come with boot tool for windows. But when it comes to Mac OS it’s not same. Here we have provided step by step installation guide, which is made as simple as possible.
The procedure is a bit lengthy, have patients and follow every step carefully.
How to Install Remix OS 2.0 on MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, & iMac
Step-1 Early preparations for installation
- Download Remix OS 2.0.iso file from here.
- Rename the downloaded file to Remix_OS.iso.
- Copy the renamed file to your Mac OS X PC desktop, so that it can be located easily.
- A USB 3.0 pen drive with 8 – 16 GB of storage is required.
- Download and install UNetBootin on your MacBook Air, MacBook Pro or iMac.
Step-2 Convert Remix_OS.iso file to Remix_OS.img file
To make a bootable image file of Remix OS, you have to convert your Remix_OS.iso file to Remix_OS.img. Follow the step mentioned to convert it.
- Open Terminal on your MacBook Pro, MacBook Air or iMac.
- Now pass the following command in the terminal and press enter.
HDIUTIL CONVERT -FORMAT UDRW -O DESKTOP/REMIX_OS.IMG DESKTOP/REMIX_OS.ISO
- Once the command is executed a Remix_OS.img.dmg file will be created on your Mac device’s desktop.
- Rename the file to Remix_OS.img
step-3 Format USB 3.0 Pen drive to MS_DOS (FAT) format
- Connect your USB 3.0 pen drive into your MacBook Air, MacBook Pro or iMac.
- Open Disk Utility on your Mac device.
- Select the flash drive connected and click on erase option right below the Disk Utility heading.
- Give the details Name: Your choice, Format: MS-DOS (FAT), Scheme: Master Boot Record.
- Now, click on erase and wait till the operation completes.
Step-4 Make Remix OS 2.0 bootable USB using UNetbootin
- Make sure the flash drive is formatted as said in the step-3.
- Check if the Remix_OS.img file created is on the desktop step-2.
- Now launch UNetbootin.
- Click on Disk image option in UNetbootin.
- In the next option browse for the Remix_OS.img file created on the desktop.
- Change the Floppy option to ISO.
- Now, click on OK and wait till the process is completed. It takes around 15 minutes to complete.
- Once done, go on to the next step.
Step-5 Boot into Remix OS 2.0 on your Mac device
- Make sure all the above steps are completed carefully and a bootable USB drive is ready.
- Shut down your Mac device.
- Connect the bootable flash drive to the Mac device and turn it on.
- Press and hold option Key instantly to load boot menu.
- Two options will be shown on the boot menu screen, Macintosh Hd and Windows.
- If you do not get Windows option, then there is an error with your bootable USB drive.
- In this case you need to repeat step-4 from the beginning.
- Once you get windows option in boot menu, select it.
- Remix OS will now boot up.
- Two options will be given Guest Mode or Resident Mode.
- Guest mode is for temporary use while resident mode will save your settings and configuration forever.
- Select resident mode and set it up.
- Wait for set up to complete, it takes 10 minutes approx.
- Once the process completes, you will get into Remix OS.
Step-6 Set up Remix OS 2.0
- The Remix OS welcome screen will be displayed.
- It will take you to configuration screen once booted up.
- Select all the necessary options and accept the agreement.
- Set up the WiFi connection in next option and click next.
- That’s all, your Remix OS is installed and ready for use.
- Enjoy Android experience like never before.
- You need to plug-in a bootable USB drive (press and hold Option key) every time you want to use Remix OS.
- Select Windows option and you will boot into Remix OS.