Motorola Moto E has now got the CM13 Custom ROM to update the device to Android Marshmallow. This custom ROM has all the features of the original Android Marshmallow update. Motorola is not going to release its Android 6.0 Marshmallow update, as the device is old and not compatible with the latest Android Marshmallow, so you only have a way of updating it through Custom ROMs.
If you are anxious of Updating your Motorola Moto E to Android Marshmallow, then here is an unofficial way of doing that.The CM13 ROM is unofficial but it has all the features of Android Marshmallow official update.This CM13 ROM work well and it does not have any faults.
Preparing your Motorola Moto E Phone:
- Device should be fully charged up to 100%.
- Backup all the important data to some external storage.
- USB drivers for device should be installed on the PC.
- Make a Nandroid backup of the current ROM in case the new version does not work properly you can restore it.
- Custom recovery like TWRP must be installed on the device.
- Device should be rooted and its bootloader must be unlocked.
- USB debugging mode should be enabled on the device. Go to Settings > Developer options > USB debugging mode.
Install CM13 based Android Marshmallow on Motorola Moto E Phone:
- Download the Android Marshmallow AOSP file from here.
- Download the Android Marshmallow Gapps file from here.
- Transfer the Files to Device internal or external storage.
- Turn off the device and reboot it into Recovery mode by using appropriate hardware buttons.
- In recovery select Wipe option and then tick the Data, Cache, Dalvik Cache from the next page.
- Swipe the Swipe to wipe button at bottom of the Screen.
- Now return to main menu and select the Install options.
- Navigate to the ROM zip file and select it, then swipe the button at bottom to flash it.
- In the same way flash the Gapps file.
- Return to main menu and select the Reboot option to reboot the device.
Your device will now be updated to Android Marshmallow, you can check the version of Android in Settings > About device.