Android 6.0 Marshmallow has brought many changes in the Android world. Google has embedded some features in the Android 6.0 Marshmallow system which are not accessible directly but are still present in the system. Check 10 Best Android Marshmallow features.
One of the feature is Multi Window feature which we have seen in many latest Samsung devices. If you are using Android 6.0 Marshmallow in your device that you can get your hands on this feature. Two XDA developers Quinny899 and xperiacle have found a way to make this features active for the users.
According to them you can get this feature active either by root access on your phone or through Custom recovery. In this guide we will help you about how you can activate multi-window feature on Android 6.0 Marshmallow using any one of the method.
To enable Multi-Window on Android Marshmallow Via Root Access:
- Your Android 6.0 Marshmallow device should be rooted.
- Install any file manager app like Root Explorer.
- Open root explorer and provide root rights and go to “/System”.
- In “/System” click the R/W button to activate Read-Write mode. This button will be at the top right.
- Locate “build.prop” file in the same directory or folder.
- Press and hold the build.prop file to open it through text editor.
- Add this code at the end of the file persist.sys.debug.multi_window=true and save the file.
- Reboot the device now.
This is it you will now get the Multi window feature on your device.
To enable Multi-Window on Android Marshmallow Via Custom Recovery:
- Download the USB drivers and ADB & Fastboot drivers for the device on your PC.
- Download the Custom Recovery if it not available and install it on your device.
- Reboot the device into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power keys together for few seconds.
- Connect the device to the PC.
- In custom recovery menu select Mounts > Tick system to mount your system. Mount option can be hidden under advanced options.
- Open ADB and Fastboot.exe file and run Command prompt in ADB mode.
- Type the following commands in the window:
adb pull /system/build.prop
- You will get build.prop file in the ADb folder.
- Open the build.prop file using text editor like notepad++.
- Find the text: ro.build.type=user.
- Change the text to “ro.build.type=userdebug“.
- Save the file once done.
- Now open the command prompt in same as done earlier to hide back the build.prop file.
- Give the following commands:
adb push build.prop /system/ adb shell cd system chmod 644 build.prop
- Reboot your phone now.
Now go to settings > developer options > multi-window. Activate it and enjoy running multiple apps in one screen.