The famous Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 has stopped getting updates from the Google and Samsung once it has reached Jelly Bean. So, there was no other way to update the device further other than updating it through custom ROM’s. Even the custom ROM support was not quite satisfactory for all the users.
So, there are only few custom ROM’s now available for the device to update it to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. Minimal OS is one such custom ROM which allow you to update the device to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. This ROM is unofficial but it has all the required features of Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.
So, if there are users who would like to give a try to this custom ROM can download the ROM from the description given. Make sure before you begin with the procedure your device is rooted with TWRP or CWM recovery installed on it. As this is unofficial way to update the device it is going to void the device warranty.
Preparing your Phone
- This instructions are meant for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 only, do not try it on other devices.
- Device should be fully charged up to 100%
- Install Galaxy S2 drivers on your PC.
- Back up all the necessary data to external storage restore it later.
- Make a Nandroid back up of the current ROM.
- Device should be rooted and it’s bootloader must be unlocked.
- Custom Recovery like TWRP should be installed on the device.
- Enable USB debugging mode. Go to Settings > Developer options > USB debugging mode.
Download and Update Galaxy S2 to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
- Download the Android Lollipop based Minimal OS custom ROM from here
- Download the Google App’s from here.
- Transfer the files to device storage and turn it off.
- Disconnect the device and turn it off completely.
- Reboot the device into recovery mode, press and hold Volume Down + Power key for few seconds.
- When in recovery mode tap on Wipe tab and select all the options given under it.
- Now, confirm the wipe action by swiping the button at the bottom of the screen.
- Now, return to main menu and tap on Install tab.
- Locate the ROM file stored on you device and select it.
- Swipe the button at the bottom to flash the ROM file on your device.
- In the same way flash the Google App’s on your device (step 8-10).
- Return to main menu and tap on Reboot.
- System will now reboot in normal mode.
That’s all, device is now updated to the latest Android Lollipop Minimal OS, you can check the Android version in Settings > About Device > Android version.