For the American users who have brought the Galaxy S4 you will see that the device is with model number with GT I9505 powered with Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 SoC with 1.9 Ghz quad core Krait 300 processor. So Samsung Galaxy S4 first software update is out although this will not update your device to Android 4.3 and Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie as the Android version will stay the same.
Basically this is a bug fix update as reported by the users that Samsung Hub app popping up “999” error and also the issue of integration with Samsung Account. So before we proceed to this firmware update, you should prepare your device for updating.
Also let me tell you that updating your device with this procedure will not void warranty or will not root your device in any manner. This is because it’s the official firmware released by Samsung. You find soon find this available via Over the Air update.
Preparing Your Device
- You should have USB debugging enabled on your phone. Go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- You should have atleast 50 % battery life left on your device to proceed.
- Using the Super backup app you need to backup contacts, Call Logs, SMS, Browser Bookmarks easily.
- This update is only available for United States and other Galaxy S4 LTE variants which has the model number as GT-I9505. This process shouldn't be applied to any other phones than the above mentioned.
Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 XXUAMDM Update
Follow the steps mentioned here carefully to update your device –
- Download the Jellybean 4.2.2 XXUAMDM Firmware Package and Odin to your PC. Extract both the files and install the Odin which is the flashing tool used here.
- Open Odin on your PC.
- Turn Off your Galaxy S4 so that you can enter in Download Mode. Galaxy S4 can be entered in download mode just like the other Galaxy phones and you need to press the Volume Down Key + Menu button and then Power button altogether at once. Within few seconds you will see a Green Robot on your phone and once you see that release the combination of buttons used. If your phone doesn’t go through Download mode, retry the step again and this is required step.
- Take some breathe after hard work. Now it’s time to bring your Galaxy S4 into action. Using the USB cable connect one end to PC and other end to Galaxy S4.
- If the USB Drivers are installed perfectly on your PC, then you will see the ID:COM port turns Yellow/Green. That’s confirmation and you are ready to go further ahead.
- Click on the “PDA” tab and then select the rooting tar file which is found under the first Rar file that you have downloaded. Also in the options select “F. Reset Time” & “Auto Reboot”.
- Now hit “Start” to being the process of updating.
- Once the firmware is applied, your phone will be restarted automatically and the whole process will not take more than 15 minutes.
- When you see home screen or Language selection option on your phone, disconnect the device from PC using Safe Removal.
Finally its time to install the Super backup app on your phone to restore the backup taken earlier. Do let us know if you face any issues while updating the device. You can Go to Settings > About phone to verify.