All the Android devices comes with locked bootloader and a stock recovery installed on it. The device bootloader is locked to ensure the safety of the device. But you can unlock this bootloader and have a custom recovery of your choice installed on your device.
This is simple and easy method to do it through ADB and Fastboot commands. All you need is to set up ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer and execute the command as given in the procedure. Once your device bootloader is unlocked with TWRP custom recovery installed on it, you can flash or install any custom packages that are compatible with it.
TWRP custom recovery allows you to flash custom ROM, mods, SuperSu zip files, which is not allowed in the stock recovery. So, Huawei Honor 5X users who like to install TWRP and unlock their device bootloader can follow the steps mentioned below carefully with total attention to it.
Preparing your Phone
- This information is valid only for Huawei Honor 5X, do not try it on other device or it may be bricked..
- Charge the device battery to 100% in order to avoid interruption during the process.
- Should have a working USB cable (Original recommended).
- Bootloaders must be unlocked to install TWRP recovery.
- Turn on “Enable OEM Unlock” in developer options.
- USB drivers and ADB & fastboot drivers should be installed in the Computer.
- Enable USB debugging mode on the device, to do this go to Settings>about device>tap build number for 7 times. You will have developer options enabled in settings. Open developer options>Enable USB debugging mode.
Unlock Bootloader of Huawei Honor 5X:
- Go to Official Huawei Website and register your self.
- Login on the this page and provide necessary details (use unique ID created in step 1 to login).
- Now get your product identification code by dialing * # * # 1357946 # * # *
- Enable OEM unlock under Developer options. Go to Settings > Developer options > Allow OEM unlock > Tick it.
- Hope you have installed USB drivers and setup ADB and Fastboot drivers on the computer.
- Open ADB and Fastboot folder in your computer.
- In the empty space of the folder hold Shift and Right-click mouse button.
- Now, select Open command window here.
- Connect the device to computer through working USB cable.
- To boot the device into bootloader mode pass the command as given in command window.
adb reboot bootloader
- To unlock the bootloader give the command as given below.
fastboot oem unlock 123456789
- Replace the numbers with official unlock code obtained from website.
- Disconnect the device now and reboot it manually.
Install TWRP recovery on Huawei Honor 5X:
- Download TWRP Recovery.img file and rename the file to “recovery.img”.
- Copy the recovery.img file to ADB & Fastboot folder.
- Now reboot your device into fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power key.
- Connect your phone to PC.
- Open ADB & Fastboot folder and launch command window in it.
- Hold Shift key and Right-click mouse button and select Open command window here.
- In the command window enter following commands one after other (press enter after each command):
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.x.x-xxx.img
That’s all you have installed TWRP recovery and also unlocked the Bootloader.