Good news coming all the way for Sony Xperia Z Ultra and Sony Xperia Z2 user, as you might have heard that Sony might not provide any further Android Update for this devices, all you have left with is second best alternate option and that is to Update your phone Android 5.1.1 Lollipop using CM 12.1 Nightly Custom ROM from CyanogenMOD.
Xperia Z Ultra and Z2 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Update
This Custom ROM has all the features of the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop including additional features by CyanogenMOD like better performance with Smooth and stable experience, Notification center, Theme, Customization option and many more.
So, if you Own a Sony Xperia Z Ultra or Sony Xperia Z2 and you are willing to update your old Android version to latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based CM 12.1 Nightly Custom ROM just follow the steps mentioned in the procedure.
Preparing Your Phone
- This instructions are only for Sony Xperia Z Ultra and Sony Xperia Z2.
- Phone data should be backed up for feature use.
- Phone should be Rooted and it’s boot loader must be unlocked.
- Phone should have recovery tool like CWM or TWRP installed.
- Phone battery should be fully charged.
- Phone USB drivers should be installed on computer.
- USB debugging should be enabled, go to Settings > Developer options > USB debugging mode.
Install CM 12.1 Nightly Custom ROM on Xperia Z Ultra
Step to be followed –
- Download CM 12.1 Nightly for Sony Xperia Z Ultra and Google Apps from here.
- Download CM 12.1 Nightly for Sony Xperia Z2 and Google Apps from here.
- Copy the downloaded file to internal or external storage memory of the Phone.
- Switch off the device and reboot into Recovery mode (Tapping Volume Up or Volume down keys continuously till LED turns to some other color).
- Backup the data once again using Backup or Restore option in recovery menu.
- Now, perform a full data wipe using Wipe Data/Factory Reset option.
- Then perform Wipe cache partition and Wipe Dalvik cache (Under Advanced option) operations by selecting respected options.
- Return to recovery menu and select Install Zip from SD card and select the ROM file from directory and flash it.
- Similarly flash Google apps file by selecting it from the directory similar to ROM file.
- Return to main Recovery menu and Select Reboot System Now from the list.
Your device will now reboot, as it is first boot after the process it might take some time to complete.
To check the status of Android update go to Settings > About Phone.