Xiaomi Mi 3 has now got the AOSP Custom ROM to update the device to Android Marshmallow. This AOSP custom ROM has all the features of the original Android Marshmallow update. Xiaomi has not released its Android 6.0 Marshmallow update plans, even for the current device Xiaomi Mi 4, so you can expect some delay on Marshmallow update to Xiaomi Mi 3.
Xiaomi Mi 3 Marshmallow Update
If you are anxious of Updating your Xiaomi Mi 3 to Android Marshmallow, then here is an unofficial way of doing that.The AOSP custom ROM is unofficial but it has all the features of Android Marshmallow official update.This AOSP Custom ROM work well and it have Camera fault as this is the first release but the rest is fine.
Preparing your Phone:
- Device should be fully charged up to 100%.
- Backup all the important data to some external storage.
- USB drivers for device should be installed on the PC.
- Make a Nandroid backup of the current ROM in case the new version does not work properly you can restore it.
- Custom recovery like TWRP must be installed on the device.
- Device should be rooted and its bootloader must be unlocked.
- USB debugging mode should be enabled on the device. Go to Settings > Developer options > USB debugging mode.
Install AOSP based Custom ROM:
- Download the Android Marshmallow based Custom ROM from here.
- Download the Android Marshmallow Gapps file from here.
- Transfer the Files to Device internal or external storage.
- Reboot it into Recovery mode go to Tools > Updater > press Menu key and select ‘Reboot to Recovery mode’.
- In recovery select Wipe option and then tick the Data, Cache, Dalvik Cache from the next page.
- Swipe the Swipe to wipe button at bottom of the Screen.
- Now return to main menu and select the Install options.
- Navigate to the Custom ROM zip file and select it, then Swipe the button at bottom to flash it.
- In the same way flash the Gapps file.
- Return to main menu and select the Reboot option to reboot the device.
Your device is now updated to Android Marshmallow with help of AOSP Custom ROM. To check the status go to Settings > About Device.