Xiaomi Redmi 1S is another device which can be updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow via CyanogenMod CM13 custom ROM. This is an unofficial way of updating your device but as we know that it is going to take long time till the official update is available for the device, and may be the device does not get the update due to some reasons.
So, if you own a Xiaomi Redmi 1S then instead of waiting longer for the official Android update to be available, you can try out this AOSP custom ROM from CyanogenMod. It is much stable, but as this the first release it might have some bugs which will be eliminated in further updates.
Now, those who wish to update their device can follow the step by step procedure below.
Preparing your Phone
- This instructions are only for Xiaomi Redmi 1S.
- Device battery should be fully charged up to 100%.
- Backup all the important data to some external storage and make a Nandroid back up of current ROM.
- Install Xiaomi Redmi 1S USB drivers on PC if not done already.
- Custom recovery like TWRP must be installed on the device.
- Device should be rooted and its bootloader must be unlocked.
- USB debugging mode should be enabled on the device. Go to Settings > Developer options > USB debugging mode.
Install Android Marshmallow based CM13 custom ROM
- Download Android Marshmallow AOSP CM13 ROM file from here.
- Download Google apps for Android Marshmallow from here.
- Now, transfer the Files to Device internal or external storage.
- Turn off the device and reboot it into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power key for few seconds.
- Select Wipe option and then tick mark Data, Cache, Dalvik Cache in the next page.
- Swipe the button at the bottom of screen to confirm the wipe action.
- Now, tap on Install and Navigate to the ROM zip file and select it, then swipe the button at bottom to flash it.
- Return to main menu and flash Google Apps in same way as ROM file.
- Return to main menu and select the Reboot option to reboot the device.
Your device will now boot up, updated to Android Marshmallow you can check the version of Android in Settings > About device.
Thank you for Reading the article.